Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Panic or Pray?

"I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears."
Psalm 34: 4 (NIV)

How do you respond to a crisis? Do you panic? Are you fearful? Or do you turn to God and cry out to Him for help?

In my youth, I tended to panic and try to fix things myself, rather than asking for God's wisdom, help, and guidance. I learned leaving God out of the equation was not wise. It was painful.

King Ahaz faced the enemy invasion of King Rezin and King Pekah. Although King Ahaz was evil, God sent Isaiah to assure Ahaz  these kings would not succeed. Ahaz was exhorted to keep calm, not fear, and stand firm. The LORD offered Ahaz a sign, for which Ahaz refused to ask. The LORD, however, gave him the sign anyway. In his crisis, Ahaz sought help from his enemy, Tiglath-Pileser, king of Assyria. He placed his confidence in a man, rather than the LORD. Tiglath-Pileser gave Ahaz trouble rather than help. King Ahaz became more unfaithful to God, and  sought help from the gods of Damascus, but they were his downfall.  Ahaz provoked the God of his fathers to anger. ( 2 Kings 16; 2 Chron. 28; Isaiah 7 ).
 
In crisis moments, choose to seek God and pray. We can trust his character. He is our refuge and strength, and always ready to help us  in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).
 
LORD God, when we are in distress, help us to trust you and not fear. You alone are our true security! In the mighty name of Jesus, the hope of the world...amen.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment